FOIAs forsikring

Startet av Amatør1, desember 22, 2011, 23:17:26 PM

« forrige - neste »

Amatør1

Pointman har en interessant analyse av FOIA (=den eller de som står bak Climagate 1.0 og 2.0) og hvorfor det eksisterer et stort antall eposter i CG2 som vi og verden har kopier av, men ikke kan lese fordi de er krypterte og vi kjenner ikke passordet:

Pointman: Helping to catch the climategate whistleblower.

Sitat
I did point out why the leaker had released encoded material because it was a way of doing a bit of insurance. All that's needed to decode the entire part of the release is a simple code phrase and that's probably on a bulk email timer somewhere that's being periodically reset by FOIA. If FOIA gets nabbed, then the bulk email giving the pass phrase goes out automatically to every major skeptic worldwide and we'll all have some interesting emails to read over breakfast the next morning. I call that the Nuclear Backup Option.

Dette lyder som en plausibel hypotese på hvorfor vi ikke får passordet, og det tekniske kan kanskje også stemme.
It is easier to lie to someone than to convince them, that they have been lied to

Amatør1

Veldig relevant oppfølging om FOIA fra Jeff Ids gjestepost på WUWT:

NYT reporter engages in zany conspiracy theory – suggests bloggers "knew" FOIA emails were coming

SitatAnyway, the most interesting point of the conversation came out when she said in very rough paraphrase 'Their side is that the email releases were known to you ahead of time.'

The 'their side' was fairly interesting as we know the "Climate Scientists™" are in good contact with the NYT as are the government agencies. It could have been nothing but often when you hear inflection of how something is said, you can get the meaning. I took it as though she had been talked too by someone of the opinion that the three blogs mentioned in the DOJ letter were intimately involved.

The fact that I have done nothing wrong does not relieve me one tiny bit regarding the police. This is especially true when a billion dollar industry is involved.
Those who haven't dealt with law won't get that. What gives me comfort is that this blog and its global friends have a wide readership means that ANY direct police action will have a wide public audience – not that it will stop the crazy stuff anyway. That is the limit of my protection.

Som tidligere nevnt. Politiraidet på Tallbloke var ment å skremme, noe det har gjort.
It is easier to lie to someone than to convince them, that they have been lied to

Amatør1

Kanskje noen kan klare å knekke CG2-passordet på denne måten?

1024-bit RSA encryption cracked by carefully starving CPU of electricity

SitatSince 1977, RSA public-key encryption has protected privacy and verified authenticity when using computers, gadgets and web browsers around the globe, with only the most brutish of brute force efforts (and 1,500 years of processing time) felling its 768-bit variety earlier this year. Now, three eggheads (or Wolverines, as it were) at the University of Michigan claim they can break it simply by tweaking a device's power supply. By fluctuating the voltage to the CPU such that it generated a single hardware error per clock cycle, they found that they could cause the server to flip single bits of the private key at a time, allowing them to slowly piece together the password. With a small cluster of 81 Pentium 4 chips and 104 hours of processing time, they were able to successfully hack 1024-bit encryption in OpenSSL on a SPARC-based system, without damaging the computer, leaving a single trace or ending human life as we know it.

Bebben

Interessant!

Er dette kjent for "the usual suspects" i bloggosfæren?
Baby, it's getting hot outside! Send for Greenpeace!

Amatør1

Sitat fra: Bebben på januar 15, 2012, 13:59:44 PM
Interessant!

Vet ikke... tror det var en på BH som kommenterte dette, men har mistet linken  ::)

ConTrari

Sitat fra: Amatør1 på januar 15, 2012, 20:19:13 PM
Sitat fra: Bebben på januar 15, 2012, 13:59:44 PM
Interessant!

Vet ikke... tror det var en på BH som kommenterte dette, men har mistet linken  ::)

Fred Singer har nytt om Climategate hos Tallbloke. I kjølvannet av Cuccinellli-saken gjøres et nytt forsøk på å få offentliggjort Manns eposter fra University of Virginia, med begrunnelse i at Mann har fått tilsendt disse (han er som kjent nå ved Pennsylvania), og at U of V ikke kan forskjellsbehandle de som ber om denne informasjonen.

"I am quite disappointed by my University's opposition to releasing Mann's e-mails to Virginia's AG. Those e-mails could clear up the mystery of "Mike's Nature trick" and reveal hidden data. I am told that no objection was raised by UVa when Greenpeace requested the e-mails of skeptical faculty – including mine – under the Freedom-of-Information Act (FOIA). So much for the University's 'principled defense' of academic freedom.
Virginia's Supreme Court has now turned down AG Cuccinelli's demand, based on a technicality in the interpretation of the Virginia law. But the American Tradition Institute is trying to extract Mann's e-mails from UVa, using the FOIA. Their chance for success is good – particularly since the University now not only admits that some 12,000 emails exist (previously claimed to have been deleted) – but have released these e-mails to Michael Mann, even though he is no longer a faculty member.

As Tom Jackman reports (Wash Post, March 21): The ATI case began quietly in January 2011, with a FOIA request to UVa for e-mails to and from Mann and 39 people, involving five grant programs. Seven months later, UVa produced almost 1,800 e-mails, but said it was withholding another 12,000, which they argued were not public record, or were exempt under Virginia FOIA law 2.2-3705.4(4). The case is scheduled for argument on April 16 in Manassas (in Prince William County, Virginia), in suburban Washington, DC. From there, the case will likely begin its ascent up the appeals court ladder and is poised to make law on how Virginia institutions may use FOIA to withhold from some and give to others. Not to mention create an international stink — if Mann's e-mails show he has manipulated climate change data, an accusation for which he claims to have been cleared.

As Jackman further reports, Mann said his shared interest, with UVa, in his e-mails means they can be released to him, but not to climate skeptics. The American Tradition Institute, the conservative group hoping to show that climate change scientists like Mann manipulated their data, argues that UVa can't give the e-mails to one person and not another. By giving the emails to Mann, the University has waived any exemptions they're claiming to the state Freedom of Information Act, ATI's lawyer David Schnare argues."
[/i]

Les mer hos Tallbloke:

http://tallbloke.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/s-fred-singer-climategate-heads-to-court/#more-5710

Bebben

Universitetet i Virginia har visstnok brukt mer enn en million dollar for å kjempe mot .... vel, loven om offentlig innsynsrett. Pussig atferd fra et universitet. Vi så noe lignende hos UEA og Phil Jones, der det var delvis ideologisk/prestisje-primadonnagreier/antivitenskapelig og delvis det som slikt vanligvis handler om: Penger. Jones ville ikke at noen skulle se hvor lite de gjorde for pengene de fikk for å vedlikeholde temperaturserien sin. Eller hvilken sørgelig tilstand denne databasen befant seg i, jamfør Harry, han som før hadde hår. (Min hypotese er at Harrys tidligere fyldige manke ligger igjen på gulvet i datarommet hos CRU.)

Baby, it's getting hot outside! Send for Greenpeace!