Julenøtter i klimakrise

Startet av ConTrari, desember 19, 2011, 18:43:39 PM

« forrige - neste »

ConTrari

Valnøtter er gjenstand for en studie fra Purdue University; "On November 28, 2011, Purdue University issued a press release titled "Walnut trees may not be able to withstand climate change.""

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/12/19/global-warming-and-walnut-trees-a-case-study-in-deception/#more-53360

Forfatteren av artikkelen i WUWT har selv valnøttrær på sin eiendom i Oklahoma, en delstat som iår har satt varmerekorder og opplevd voldsomme regnskyll. Så gikk det nok galt med trærne? Nei, de klarer seg, men det interessante er at studien faktisk beskriver positive effekter av økt co2 for valnøttrær. Dette nevnes ikke i pressemeldingen.... 8)

"Critical information was omitted from the press release. The text of the research paper stated that carbon dioxide and global warming may actually prove to be beneficial for the walnut tree. But these statements were completely absent from the press release.

Carbon dioxide fertilizes trees. Trees grow faster and larger when the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere increases. The research paper reported (p. 1280) that "a five-fold increase in CO2...generated growth increases of 70%." The authors concluded (p. 1286) that "productivity gains associated with increased atmospheric CO2 in walnut appear to be greater than average."

The research paper also stated (p. 1286) that global warming could benefit walnut trees by extending their range. "Milder winters may actually increase walnut establishment," and "areas that are currently considered cold for walnut growth may see increased establishment and growth." But the press release stated that climate change could be "fatal" for walnut trees, not beneficial.

The press release from Purdue repeatedly emphasized the economic value of walnut trees. Purdue was right. Walnuts and walnut wood are valuable. If you want people to give you money to conduct research on walnuts you have to convince them that there is a crisis at hand, and that you're going to save them from it. You can hardly state that climate change is likely to benefit the walnut. You have to convince the public that there is some tangible benefit to be derived from the money they are giving you. "